Monday, October 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Enchilada Stack Recipe

Looking for something different?  Then you've found it!  Tonight I made a Sweet Potato Enchilada Stack for dinner and not only was it delicious but Mike loved it.

Here is the recipe with notes of the changes I made:

Ingredients

  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes(I only used 1/2 the large sweet potato, make sure to cut it into small pieces)
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 pound ground beef (I used 1/2 a pound.. I don't like a lot of meat)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (I used 1/2 a medium yellow onion)
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (I added a little cayenne to give it some spice)
  • 3 flour tortillas (8 inches) (I only used two tortillas because I did just two layers)
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (I used approx. 1 cup)

Directions

  • In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine sweet potato and water. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until potato is almost tender. (You may need to cook it longer, my potato took about 6-7 minutes)
  • Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, enchilada sauce, chili powder, oregano, cumin and sweet potato; heat through.
  • Place a flour tortilla in a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; layer with a third of the beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers twice.
  • Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. (Make sure you let the dish sit for at least 5 minutes before eating)
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals(one full dish is suppose to yield 6 pieces) 457 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 804 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 29 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment