Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Letting go of feeling 'stuffed'


When most of us were children, we all heard at one time or another to 'finish your plate or no dessert', 'finish your plate, don't waste food!' or better yet 'finish your dinner, there are starving kids in Africa!'.  It's amazing how this transfers into adulthood.  I am also a member of the Clean Plate Club (or I was) and have never left a plate uncleaned or a bag unfinished.  Then I found this quote -  

"In eating, a third of the stomach should be filled with food, a third with drink and the rest left empty."

If we follow this rule, it's amazing how much (or how little) we can eat and still be satisfied (saves money, too!).  I have been trying to follow a scale of 1-10, with 1 being absolutely famished and 10 being stuffed to the brim.  I aim for a 7-8, so I can be satisfied, but also don't feel like I didn't eat anything. For me, it's always been really hard to utilize portion control and learning when to say 'when'.

No comments:

Post a Comment