Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Quitting cold turkey


"It's my last pack."
"I'll quit tomorrow."

How many times have you heard this coming from yourself or someone you care about?  While I'm certainly to blame, I'd like to think my additiction is a lot less health-harming (but nonetheless an addiction!).  I'm addicted to GUM.  Any kind of gum - Juicy Fruit, Orbit, Trident.  Heck, I'll even sneak some of Grandma's Freedent if I'm really desperate.

But, I've learned that gum - with artificial sugars or not - makes me bloated.  Like REALLY bloated.  And I don't like being bloated.  EVER.

I consume probably around 10 or so pieces a day and I really need to cut back.  

My tactic is to buy slightly more 'expensive' gum, so I chew less of it (I buy Trident in the blister packs now vs. the Sam's Club bulk sized Orbit).  I also buy one at a time, versus the three packs, so I ration it out to last a while. I also 'reward' myself after a healthy lunch or snack with a stick of gum versus a stick 'whenever I feel like it'.  So far, I've really cut back.  I'm not ready (or willing) to quit cold turkey, but I am proud to say I've resisted to pop a Trident more often than not.

What are you addicted to?  And how have you curbed it?

No comments:

Post a Comment